Monday, April 11, 2011

Comin' Through the Chute















Do you know what that feels like?

Like you're looking back and looking forward at the same time.

Maybe you're done, and maybe you're not 'cause sometimes it's a loop.

In this case, thankfully, I know I keep moving

Either way, there's a huge sigh of relief.


Life is interesting, really f-ing interesting.

In a good way.

And in a zero way.

And sometimes in a hard way.

But we knew that...


I spiraled around an on-ramp on the way to work this morning thinking about honesty.

Honest is just about the hardest thing you can be. With yourself, with others.

Being honest means you completely give up control of the receiving end.

Giving up control, or the illusion of it, is hard.

But when did you really even have that, anyway?


Where did this year go?

Time's fun when you're having flies

Biting flies

When you've been here already, you start to know what to expect, and they're coming.

The flies.

So is the heat

So is the humidity

So is the fall, the winter, and then another summer. I know them.


I'm transitioning out of transition.

I know what I'm leaving, but I don't know where I'm going yet.

Hilary says I need to be challenged- ain't that the truth.


The winter put me inside, but didn't keep me there.

I had the self-discipline to get my ass back into a pool and give my legs a break

To crawl and stretch across a yoga mat and throw down my favorite Warrior-2

To not move a muscle for a day, or a week, or two…


I'm gearing up for fun.

For change

For relaxation

For more balance, like we all wish we had.


I'm gearing up to not start something I SO badly wanted to finish,

but such is life when you have a grumpy toe and you’re finally being brave.


I think I've started a tradition or two.

I've made life-long friends and somehow mustered a family.

Thursday night is whiskey night in the basement with my people.

They have a special glass for me because I like it neat.

That's some of them. My Family.


We have a home, a big bed to fall into, two cats named after places we love.

I'm working on that fat paycheck I promised you.

I've napped and watched movies all day, ordered dinner in, chilled the heck out.

I didn't know I could do that.


I'm bearing down on one year since I landed here,

All 35ft of me,

And took a picture of my toes

standing in Salem.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you found the basement and didn't run the other way--we'd have never caught you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean- remember? It was you, Coach, and Paul that first day, a 2 hour run, and a dip in the quarry. How could anyone run away from THAT??

    ReplyDelete